Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

Happy New Year! Greg and I spent the first day of 2009 immersed in yard work. We pulled out a gigantic juniper bush. I'm going to move the compost pile there (after sifting) for the coming year. Then next year I'll have to find yet another place to put the compost because an avocado tree is in the works, and slated for that spot. We also pulled out a bunch of half-dead shrubs to clear the area assigned to the bramble fruits which should be arriving next month. We're planting raspberries, boysenberries and blackberries. The birds may eat everything, we may be inundated with berries, stay tuned. To top it all off I spent awhile weeding, sweeping and and dinking about. I'm very pleased with the progress we made on the yard today, although my favorite garden tool, a beloved pitchfork was lost. It snapped in half actually, and not to point fingers but...it was all Greg's fault. I'll have to pick up a new one tomorrow, and a new broom, and gloves since the fingers on mine have completely worn off. Hooray, garden shopping spree!

At lunch today I finally tried nasturtium leaves. They are awesome! I am ridiculously overjoyed. We will have greens well into summer!!! I ate them shredded up in a burrito, along with the last of the year's tomatoes. When I tasted them alone they did have a flavor remniscent of radishes, but in the burrito they just tasted really fresh and delicious. I highly recommend them. Also a plus, the nasturtiums that are flourishing in the front yard have not been decimated by snails, which is more than can be said for any other plant out there.

No comments: